Click the arrow below to visit the new JullienGordon.com


When we say “to do list”, we really mean “my have to do list” and when we “have to do” something, it implies that we really don’t want to do it. The items on our to do lists usually come from someone else (ie professor, boss, government, family) and are geared toward helping someone other than ourselves achieve their goals. Our to do lists become so cluttered with other people’s stuff that there is no room for our own. Why should our personal goals become our last priority? Instead of using the phrase “to do list”, use “I choose list”.

With an “I choose list”, you come first. It acknowledges that you made a conscious choice to accept the task at hand. Each action item on your “I choose list” should push you toward your purpose. An “I choose list” can consist of academic and career-related items. The “I choose list” just serves as a way of ensuring that you are shaping your academic and career experiences rather than allowing them to shape you. For many of us, we have to learn how to say no to certain things and be more vocal about what we want. “I choose lists” force us to ask ourselves why we are doing certain things and as result can reduce procrastination and stress.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Jullien's Purpose Statement

My purpose is to help as many people as possible reach their full potential by helping them making a living doing what they love and in the process of doing so achieve my own. I want to do this through writing, speaking, and creating offline and online spaces that facilitate conversations around purpose.

Subscribe to stay updated

 Subscribe in a reader or

See what people are saying about my blog

Follow Me On Twitter

    follow me on Twitter