Click the arrow below to visit the new JullienGordon.com

I strongly believe in self-love, but many believe that it is narcissistic. Narcissism is defined as:

1. Excessive love or admiration of oneself.
2. A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.

For me, self-love is the ability to cultivate love within one's self. When people hear the word self, they normally only think of an individual, but I think that the ultimate goal of self-love is to expand our definition of self beyond the individual to include others. It's the only way we can truly embody the saying "Love thy neighbor as thyself".

A friend of mine brought up a great point that there is plenty of evidence of people loving their children, parents, etc without being able to say they love themselves. I agree, however, I don't believe that that kind of love is sustainable in the long-term. We either have to create with as much as we give out or plant ourselves in a community where we are sourcing love from others as we simultaneously give it.
At my old church in Los Angeles, we used to sing this simple song at the close each service. I hope it blesses you on your journey.

I love myself so much
So I can love you so much
So you can love you so much
So you can start loving me

0 comments

Post a Comment

Jullien's Purpose Statement

My purpose is to help as many people as possible reach their full potential by helping them making a living doing what they love and in the process of doing so achieve my own. I want to do this through writing, speaking, and creating offline and online spaces that facilitate conversations around purpose.

Subscribe to stay updated

 Subscribe in a reader or

See what people are saying about my blog

Follow Me On Twitter

    follow me on Twitter