Click the arrow below to visit the new JullienGordon.com

What can you fluently speak about for at least 2 hours? There are many types of foreign languages beyond Spanish, French, and Chinese. Foreign languages can be literal foreign languages (ie I’m fluent in Spanish) or they can be topical (ie I’m fluent on 19th century American culture). I define a foreign language as anything that you are an expert on or in. Typically expertise is discerned by:

• a subject-specific vocabulary
• well thought out opinions
• thought-provoking questions
• citing research, current events, and key people
• referencing and arguing multiple theories

I consider myself to be fluent in business, education, and personal development. In the language of business, the average person doesn’t know what the MACRs depreciation schedule, LIFO, or Porter’s Five Forces are. In the field of education, I can reference and argue various theories like Bandura’s social cognitive theory, Dembo’s self-regulated learning, or Boyatzis’ self-directed learning. Lastly, in the personal development industry, I can tell you who all of the key players are, the history of the industry, and share my opinions on the industry’s flaws and future.

Consider all of the languages that you speak. The next time someone asks you “Do you speak a foreign language?” don’t just think Spanish, French, or Chinese. Think about your passions; whatever you can talk about deeply is a like a foreign language to them. We are teaching a foreign language whenever we exchange knowledge. So the next time you get a chance, share a new word with someone from one of the many languages that you speak. Your passions are what make you unique. They are gifts to the world that are meant to be shared, in order to help others see and understand the world from a new perspective.

Live purposefully!

0 comments

Post a Comment

Jullien's Purpose Statement

My purpose is to help as many people as possible reach their full potential by helping them making a living doing what they love and in the process of doing so achieve my own. I want to do this through writing, speaking, and creating offline and online spaces that facilitate conversations around purpose.

Subscribe to stay updated

 Subscribe in a reader or

See what people are saying about my blog

Follow Me On Twitter

    follow me on Twitter