Click the arrow below to visit the new JullienGordon.com

E-goals are lofty goals that sound fly like eagles but are primarily ego-driven. They sound great, but have no significance beyond the individual's pursuit. Oftentimes, e-goals aren't even personal; they are simply aggressive goals that one sets for themselves relative to their peer group. They have little to do one's unique individual path and the pursuit of their purpose.

Examples:
“I want to be a millionaire and retire by 35.”
"I want to buy a house by the end of the year."

We create ego-als to fill the ego, but they are spiritually empty. Victor Frankl, author of Man's Search for Meaning, wrote "He who has a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how." When goals have a spiritual significance, our reason is clearer and our motivation is pure and therefore they are more likely to endure and be accomplished.

I remember setting aggressive time lines for myself like the one's above until I realized that my time lines weren't based on anything except an age that I randomly selected. Goals are important, but vision is even more important. We need the crystal clear vision of eagles. Vision gives our personal goals meaning. Goals without a true purpose and spiritual significance are harder to pursue and achieve than those with them.

We live in a world that focuses on the quantity of life instead of the quality. If a man walks 2,000 miles in a 1 mile long circle while another man walks 2,000 miles in a straight line, who has traveled further? Stay true to your path regardless of where it takes you for success is not measured in distance traveled and what one receives; success is measured in how one travels and what one gives.

"How you get so fly? From not being afraid to fall out the sky." - Jay-Z

2 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. Jullien, you're back. Nicely said, excellent way of composing the difference between having visions and goals. Hope all is well, keep up the excellent work. Can't wait until your book hit stores.

    Regards,
    Jac

     
  3. mayanriver Says:
  4. Wonderful! I always thought this but never had the words to put it into the real world. Like, whenever I heard girls say, "I want to be a mother by the time I'm 25", and then turn to me and say, "When do you want to have kids?". I feel like well, when I'm ready and its right with the right person right??? But I didn't know how to say that without sounding like a self-righteous asshole. You put it very fair and square. Similar situations right?

     

Post a Comment

Jullien's Purpose Statement

My purpose is to help as many people as possible reach their full potential by helping them making a living doing what they love and in the process of doing so achieve my own. I want to do this through writing, speaking, and creating offline and online spaces that facilitate conversations around purpose.

Subscribe to stay updated

 Subscribe in a reader or

See what people are saying about my blog

Follow Me On Twitter

    follow me on Twitter